This white sauce is a huge hit at Mortadella Head. It’s the perfect base for all of our white pizzas. Our La Rustica pizza is a best seller with white sauce, potatoes, rosemary, roasted peppers and sauteed onions. We also toss it in some of our best selling pasta dishes with things like broccoli rabe and chicken cutlets. It’s creamy. It’s cheesy. It’s garlicky. What more could you want in a sauce?
- 3 quarts heavy cream
- ½ lb. unsalted butter
- ¼ cup fresh minced garlic
- ¾ cup grated pecorino Romano cheese
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ cup fresh basil cut into a thin chiffonade
1. Add butter to a stock pot and turn on medium heat.
2. Once the butter starts to foam, add garlic and saute for 3 minutes, Stir often with a wooden spoon so garlic doesn’t stick to the bottom of the pot or burn.
3. Add cream and bring to a simmer
4. Add grated pecorino and stir with a whisk until pecorino is incorporated through
5. Remove pot from heat
6. Add basil and incorporate with a whisk
7. Toss it with your favorite pasta or spread on a pizza!