The beauty of cooking the Italian way is that it can be perfectly simple. All you need is a few high-quality ingredients to make a quick, delicious meal. Today we have a simple pasta dish that is both filling and comforting. And it’s done in a snap! Let’s get cooking.
The Simplest Pasta Recipe
- 1 lb. fresh pasta of your choice – we recommend a long-cut pasta like spaghetti or bucatini
- Roasted garlic – recipe here
- A good Italian extra virgin olive oil
- ½ – 1 cup Parmesan-Reggiano cheese, grated
- Salt and freshly cracked pepper
- Cook pasta according to instructions on package.
- While pasta cooks, use a back of a fork to mash roasted garlic cloves.
- Return cooked pasta to the warm pot. Add mashed cloves, parmesan cheese, and a generous drizzle of olive oil. Mix, letting cheese slightly melt into the pasta.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve warm.
- Buy a wedge of Parmesan-Reggiano cheese and grate just before cooking. Freshly grated is the best!
- Use a pasta that will really pick up the cheese, olive oil, and spices. The above recommendations are our favorites for this recipe, but you can also use capellini or vermicelli.
- Save time: grate the cheese and mash the garlic while pasta is cooking.
- Serve with wine! For this cheesy pasta dish we recommend a full-bodied white or a light-bodied red. Try a Sicilian Chardonnay or a Langhe Nebbiolo for a perfect pairing.
- Drink Coffee The Italian Way: Here’s What to Order - April 18, 2019
- What You Need to Know about the Italian Coffee Culture - April 15, 2019
- What’s in a Typical Italian Breakfast? - April 4, 2019