This is the easiest tomato sauce of all time. Not only is it delicious, but it will fill your house with the nicest smell you can imagine. It can be used for just about anything…pasta, pizza, meatballs… simmer some string beans and zucchini in it for a beautiful side dish. You get the picture. Now go make it!
- 3 28 oz. cans of crushed tomatoes
- 3 cups of water
- ½ cup olive oil
- 2 cups ¼ inch diced spanish onion
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 4-6 leaves of fresh basil
- Heat olive oil in a deep pot on medium heat.
- Add onions and garlic to hot oil.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Saute onions and garlic on medium heat until onions become translucent which is approximately 5 minutes.
- Add tomatoes and water.
- Bring to a boil. Once boiling, turn heat down to a simmer. Let it simmer for 1 ½ hours on low heat.
- Stir often so it doesn’t burn and stick to the bottom of the pot.
- Use a wooden spoon and make sure you scrape the bottom of the pot when you stir