Let’s make some baked zucchini fries! Also known as zucchini sticks or, sometimes, as courgette fries, this is a very simple appetizer that can fit into any menu.
It takes some time to make, but the result will be delicious. Here’s what you need to do!
What you’ll need
The ingredient list for this recipe is a bit longer than I usually like for an appetizer. Fortunately, these are all things you can buy in bulk at any grocery store and use for other recipes.
Here’s what you’ll need:
- Zucchini, obviously. Prefer those with a thick and straight shape. That way you will be able to make many sticks without too much waste.
- Large eggs;
- All-purpose flour (or whatever kind of flour you have on hand);
- Grated parmesan cheese;
- Oregano and finely chopped garlic, to add some flavor. If you want, you can also toss in some chili pepper flakes.
First, start by preheating your oven to 396° F. In the meantime, wash the zucchini and cut off their extremities. Next, cut them in half, slice each part into 3 stripes, and cut them in half again. This way, you’ll get 12 sticks for each zucchini.
You might also like →The only knife you need to cut vegetables.
Now, set up a breading station. You’ll need 3 different plates or bowls. Put the flour in the first one, the eggs in the second one, and mix the breadcrumbs, parmesan and spices in the last one.
Flour the zucchini, then dip them in the eggs, and coat them with the breadcrumbs mix. Repeat the process to make your sticks extra crispy. After you’ve breaded them, arrange the zucchini fries on a baking dish covered in greaseproof paper.
Now, it’s baking time. Keep your zucchini fries in the oven for about 25 to 30 minutes, until they become nicely crispy. After that, serve and enjoy with your favorite dipping sauce.
Can I use an air fryer instead of baking the zucchini?
Sure, you can! I’ve actually read that air fryer zucchini fries are considered a low-carb keto recipe. Just cut and bread the zucchini like I showed you, and air fry them for 30 minutes at 425° F.
What to serve this with
These baked zucchini fries are a perfect appetizer any time of the year. Whether it’s an outdoor party in the summer or a Christmas Eve menu, everyone will love them. Here are a few things you can pair with them.
Main courses: you can keep it simple and pair them with a light pasta with ricotta and zucchini, or go all the way to comfort food town and serve a baked pasta dish like lasagna or baked ziti.
Second courses: this recipe pairs well with both seafood and meat dishes. Try pairing it with a crispy pan-fried sole or any recipe with pulled pork.
Dipping sauces: I decided to keep it simple and served the zucchini fries you see in the photos with mayo, ketchup, and a hot chili sauce. However, they taste delicious with guacamole and tzatziki dip.Print
Easy Baked Zucchini Fries
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Yield: 4 1x
100 gr flour
100 g bread crumbs
60 gr grated parmesan cheese
2 tbsp dried oregano
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
(optional) chili pepper flakes to taste
- Preheat the oven to 396°F.
- In the meantime, wash the zucchini and cut off their extremities.
- Cut the zucchini in half, then slice each part into 3 stripes, then cut them in half again. This way, you’ll get 12 sticks for each zucchini.
- Set up a breading station with 3 plates or bowls. Put the flour in the first one, the eggs in the second one, and mix the breadcrumbs, parmesan and spices in the last one.
- Flour the zucchini, then dip them in the eggs, and coat them with the breadcrumbs mix. Repeat the process to make your sticks extra crispy.
- After you’ve breaded them, arrange the zucchini fries on a baking dish covered in greaseproof paper.
- Bake for 25 – 30 minutes
- Serve and enjoy with your favorite dipping sauce.
- Prep Time: 20
- Cook Time: 25
- Category: Appetizers