4 + 1/6 cups bread flour (500 g)
11 fl oz water (325 ml)
2 + 1/2 tsp salt (15 g)
1 + 1/3 tsp active dry yeast
1/2 tsp sugar
2 tbsp garlic powder
2 tbsp Italian seasoning
1 tbsp grated parmesan
1 tbsp shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- Put water in a small ball and add the sugar and active dry yeast. Let them dissolve for 10 minutes.
- Add flour to the stand mixer bowl. Activate the dough hook at slow speed and gradually add the water. Then, turn the speed to medium-low and let the machine work for another 9 minutes. Halfway through the process, add the salt.
- Place dough on a floured working surface and fold it a few times with your hands. Then put it in a bowl, cover it with plastic wrap or a kitchen towel, and let it rise for 2 hours.
- Put the dough back onto the working surface and fold it again to give it strenght. Then divide it in 3 or 4 loaves.
- Place loaves on a baking sheet lined with greaseproof paper, cover them with a kitchen towel, and let them rise for another 2 hours in a warm place.
- Top the loaves with the herbs, garlic powder, and the cheese mixture. Pat them gently to let the dough incorporate the other ingredients a bit.
- Bake at 450° F in static mode for 20 minutes. Then check to see the state of the crust and, if necessary, keep baking for another 5 minutes.
- Take the bread rolls out of the oven and let them cool for a few minutes.
- Enjoy them with your favorite filling.
For best results, place an oven-compatible pan full with water on the lower half of the oven. The steam of the water will prevent the bread crust from drying up too soon.
- Prep Time: 30
- Rising time: 240
- Cook Time: 20
- Category: Bread
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: subway bread recipe italian herb and cheese