For the meat sauce:
3 tbsp olive oil
1 can crushed red tomatoes
1/2 onion, chopped
1 celery stock, diced
1/2 carrot, shredded
4 cloves of garlic
1/2 lb ground beef
1/2 cup basil leaves
1/2 cup parmesan cheese
salt and pepper
For the ricotta mix:
32 ounces of ricotta cheese
1 cup grated parmesan cheese
1 cup of the previously made meat sauce
1 tablespoon fresh parsley, minced
salt and black pepper
To assemble the lasagna:
1 lb. lasagna sheets
the rest of the meat sauce
the ricotta mix you just made
1/4 lb sliced provolone cheese
1 cup mozzarella cheese (shredded, low moisture)
2 tbsp grated parmesan cheese
Salt & pepper to taste
Basil to taste
- Heat up olive oil in a sauté pan
- Add your veggies and let sauté
- Add beef and brown it
- Season with salt and pepper
- Add crushed tomatoes, parmesan, and half of the basil leaves, and let simmer for two hours, stirring often.
- Get a large mixing bowl
- Put everything in bowl and mix thoroughly
Building the lasagna:
- Heat oven to 400.
- Boil lasagna sheets until al dente, drizzling olive oil between each cooked lasagna noodle.
- Spread tomato sauce on the bottom of a baking sheet
- Cover sauce with lasagna sheets.
- Add ricotta mixture and spread evenly
- Add provolone slices to fully cover the ricotta mixture
- Add meat sauce and distribute evenly.
- Add more sauce and grated cheese.
- Repeat this process until your layers reach the top of the pan.
- Top layer should be lasagna sheets, sauce, mozzarella, parmesan, and basil.
- Bake for 40-50 minutes covered with foil.
- Remove foil for the last 15 minutes in the oven.
- Remove from the oven and let it rest for about 20 minutes before cutting into it.
- Prep Time: 25
- Resting time: 15
- Cook Time: 195
- Category: Lasagna
- Method: Cooking & Baking
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: lasagna al forno, homemade lasagna recipe