1 quart of good tomato sauce
1 quart ricotta cheese
1 cup grated Romano cheese
2 cups of grated mozzarella cheese
2 tablespoons of chopped parsley
4–5 leaves of fresh basil
2 teaspoons black pepper
2 pounds dried ziti
- Boil pasta according to instructions on the box
- Place ricotta, ¾ of the grated Romano, ½ of the mozzarella, black peppers and parsley in a large mixing bowl and combine well.
- Add 8 ounces of warm tomato sauce into the same bowl and mix with the cheese until it is pink.
- When ziti is fully cooked, strain and add it to the cheese mixture. Make sure it is fully combined into cheese.
- Put a thin layer of tomato sauce on the bottom of a baking pan.
- Add half of the ziti and cheese mixture to the baking pan and spread evenly.
- Add a thick layer of tomato sauce on top.
- Make a second layer of ziti and cheese mixture.
- Cover top evenly with shredded mozzarella and some grated Romano cheese.
- Add fresh basil.
- Cover it, wrap it and store it in the freezer.
- When you are ready to cook it, bake in a 400 degree oven for about 35-40 minutes if thawed and 65-75 minutes if frozen. Make sure to unwrap it first.
- After removing it from the oven, let it rest for about 15 minutes before cutting into the baked ziti.