7 oz sweet almonds, shelled and peeled
3 + 1/2 oz flour
3 + 1/2 oz sugar
2 tbsp unsalted butter
2 large eggs
grated lemon peel and cinnamon powder
- Add the almonds, sugar, lemon peel, and cinnamon powder to a food processor, then blend everything until you get chunks half the size of a grain of rice. Don’t grind too much, otherwise the almonds will start to release oil.
- Transfer to a large bowl and add the flour, butter, and eggs, mixing with a spoon until you get a soft dough. You should be able to handle it with your hands. If it comes out too soft or greasy, you can add a tiny bit of water or liquor.
- Preheat the oven to 356° F and cover a baking sheet with greaseproof paper.
- Shaping the fave dei morti is easy. You can either form some medium-sized balls with your hands and then press them on top, or take some dough and pass it between two steel tablespoons until you get a roundish shape that resembles that of fava beans.
- Press them lightly on the top with your fingertips, then bake for 15 minutes.
- Take the fave dei morti away from the oven and the baking pan, and let them cool on a paper towel for a few minutes.
- Prep Time: 15
- Cook Time: 15
- Category: Cookies
- Cuisine: Italian