32 ladyfinger biscuits
4 fresh eggs
2 cups of mascarpone cheese or hand-whipped cream.
1 cup sugar
1 cup espresso coffee (or barley coffee, if you want it to be caffeine-free for your kids)
unsweetened cocoa powder to taste (or, alternatively, chocolate shavings)
- Make an espresso coffee and set it aside to cool down.
- Use an electric mixer to beat the egg whites until they become firm, slowly adding half the amount of sugar. Check the peaks that form on the whisk attachment/beaters to know when to stop. For a creamy tiramisu cake, you want to see stiff, pointy peaks.
- Now, let’s move on to the egg yolk mixture. Whisk the raw egg yolks with an electric mixer, then add the mascarpone cheese and the rest of the sugar.
- With a large spoon, incorporate the whipped egg whites into the egg yolk and mascarpone mixture. Add one spoonful at a time, stirring from bottom to top.
- Soak the ladyfinger biscuits in the coffee you made before, then use them to form a layer on the bottom of a baking dish.
- Add half of the cream.
- Make another layer of biscuits, and add the rest of the cream.
- Top with unsweetened cocoa powder or chocolate shavings.
- Cover in plastic wrap and let everything cool in the fridge for about 5 hours.
- Prep Time: 20
- Freezing time: 300
- Category: Dessert
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: classic tiramisu recipe, tiramisu recipe without alcohol