¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
½ large onion finely diced
4 garlic cloves minced
½ teaspoon Kosher salt
½ teaspoon black pepper
3 28 oz. cans of crushed tomatoes
1 lb Italian sausage
1 lb pork butt
¼ cup wine
½ cup fresh basil
- Heat olive oil in a large pot on medium heat
- When oil is hot add onions and garlic. Season them with salt and pepper.
- When onions become soft and translucent add meat and sear on all sides. Do this in batches if there isn’t enough room in the pot.
- Add wine and deglaze the bottom of the pan.
- Add crushed tomatoes and water.
- Turn heat to high and bring it to a boil.
- When it starts to boil, turn the heat down to low and add the basil.
- Let it simmer for 2-6 hours. Make sure the pot is partially covered. Stir often with a wooden spoon and make sure it touches the bottom of the pot.
- When sauce is reduced by about ½ and meat is fork tender it is done.
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 360
- Category: Sauce
- Method: Cooking
- Cuisine: Italian-American
Keywords: italian gravy recipe, sunday sauce recipe