1 quart of good tomato sauce
1–pint ricotta cheese
1 pint grated Romano cheese
1 pint of grated mozzarella cheese
1/2 pound of sliced provolone cheese
2 tablespoons of chopped parsley
4–5 leaves of fresh basil
2 teaspoons black pepper
1 pound dried ziti
- Boil pasta according to instructions on the box
- Place ricotta, ¾ of the grated Romano, ½ of the mozzarella, black peppers and parsley in a large mixing bowl and combine well.
- Add 8 ounces of warm tomato sauce into the same bowl and mix with the cheese until it is pink.
- When ziti is fully cooked, strain and add it to the cheese mixture. Make sure it is fully combined into cheese.
- Put a thin layer of tomato sauce on the bottom of a baking pan.
- Add half of the ziti and cheese mixture to the baking pan and spread evenly.
- Place a layer of sliced provolone on top of ziti.
- Add a thick layer of tomato sauce on top of provolone.
- Make a second layer of ziti and cheese mixture.
- Cover top evenly with shredded mozzarella and some grated Romano cheese.
- Bake in a 400 degree oven for about 35-40 minutes.
- Remove it from the oven, add a light layer of tomato sauce, some chopped basil and a little more grated Romano cheese.
- Allow it to rest for about 15 minutes before cutting into the baked ziti.
- Prep Time: 20
- Cook Time: 45
- Category: Main courses
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: Italian American
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 570
- Sugar: 10.1g
- Sodium: 1328mg
- Fat: 19.3g
- Saturated Fat: 11.2g
- Carbohydrates: 70.5g
- Fiber: 5.3g
- Protein: 32.2g
- Cholesterol: 55mg
Keywords: baked ziti, baked ziti recipe, Italian-American comfort food, Italian-American vegetarian recipes