For the sponge cake:
4 large eggs
3 + 1/2 oz 00 flour
3 + 1/2 oz sugar
For the filling:
12 oz Nutella
2 oz pistachio chocolate
16 oz whipping cream
2/3 cup lukewarm water
1 + 1/2 tbsp caster sugar
2 tbsp amber rum (optional)
For the topping:
4 oz whipping cream
powdered sugar or coconut powder to taste
red berries to taste
Making the sponge cake:
- Preheat the oven in static mode to 390° F.
- Meanwhile, separate the egg whites from the yolks, being very careful not to mix them together.
- Beat the egg whites. As soon as they increase in volume, add the sugar and whip them on high speed until stiff.
- Incorporate the egg yolks one by one, then sift the flour over the mixture and mix from top to bottom with a spatula.
- Take a flat baking dish and cover it completely with greaseproof paper. Then, spread evenly the egg mixture on top of it.
- Bake in static mode for 20 minutes, placing the pan in the center of the oven or at the bottom. After that, take out your sponge cake and let it cool under a clean kitchen cloth.
Making the filling
The filling is made with a Nutella Ganache, whipped cream, and a simple syrup.
For the ganache: heat the Nutella in a double boiler or in a bowl placed above a pot with boiling water. Add the chocolate and let it melts. Then, add 12 oz of whipping cream and mix well until you get an even mixture, then put the bowl in an ice bath and cover it with a kitchen cloth.
For the syrup: dissolve the sugar in the water, add the peel of a clementine, and heat over low heat. If you want, you can also add 2 tbsp of amber rum.
After preparing these two, whip the remaining cream to stiff peaks.
Assembling the Yule log:
- Cover the sponge cake with greaseproof paper and flip it onto a work surface. Then, use a kitchen brush or tablespoon to wet it with the syrup.
- Remove the Nutella ganache from the ice bath, and whip it with electric beaters until it becomes nice and firm. Then, spread it evenly on the sponge cake. Do the same with the whipped cream.
- Now, grab the sponge cake under one of the longer sides, and roll it up into a log. Some cream may spill out during the process, but don’t worry about that. You will cover it with the topping later.
- Wrap your log in greaseproof paper, and let it chill in the refrigerator for about 1 hour.
- After that, cut about 1/4 of the log with a slant cut, and arrange the pieces on a plate or tray to form a Y.
Making the topping:
- Whip the whipping cream, and spread it over the log with a spatula.
- Use a fork to draw irregular lines on the topping, so it simulates the unevenness of snow. To finish, add a dusting of powdered sugar or, alternatively, coconut flour.
- Use red berries and leaves to decorate your snowy Yule, or add your preferred decorations. There are lots of creative ideas online.
- Finally, clean the plate of all the excess cream and sugar, and serve.
- Prep Time: 60
- Cooling time: 60
- Cook Time: 20