Our American version of a Roman veggie side dish made with dandelion greens, garlic, oil and chili peppers.
1 bunch of dandelion greens
2 tablespoons of good olive oil
3-4 thinly sliced garlic cloves
1/2 teaspoon dried Calabrian chili flakes
1/2 of a lemon
1. Cut about ½ inch off of dandelion green stems
2. Wash dandelion greens in cold water and drain. Sometimes they have some sand on them when they get home from the supermarket, so make sure you clean them good.
3. Place dandelion greens in a pot of well salted water for about 10 minutes. This will take out some of the bitterness and soften the greens.
4. Heat olive oil in a saute pan over medium heat.
5. When olive oil starts to shimmer, add sliced garlic, Calabrian chili flakes and salt and pepper to taste. Allow the garlic to toast and become fragrant and let the chili flavor the oil.
6. Add dandelion greens and toss in olive oil.
7. Cover and allow to cook for about ten minutes.
8. When the stems of the dandelion greens are tender to the bite, transfer to a plate and give them a squeeze of lemon. Let them come to room temperature (that’s when they taste the best).
- Prep Time: 15 min
- Cook Time: 15
- Calories: 152
- Sodium: 102mg
- Fat: 14.4g
- Saturated Fat: 2.1
- Carbohydrates: 7.4g
- Fiber: 1.8g
- Protein: 1.6g
- Cholesterol: 0mg