In Italian cuisine, a soffritto is the base of countless recipes. Here’s how to make one that will add an amazing flavor to your favorite dishes.
1 celery stalk
Extra-virgin olive oil to taste
(optional) salt and black pepper to taste
(optional) 2 oz white wine
- Dice everything up into small pieces. The smaller the better.
- Put a dutch oven, heavy pot or saucepan on medium-low heat and add generous amounts of olive oil.
- Put in your diced vegetables.
- Add the optional salt, pepper and white wine and stir.
- Let it cook slowly while stirring frequently with a wooden spoon to make sure that the vegetables don’t stick to the bottom of the pan.
- When the celery and carrot have become soft, and the onion is golden brown, move the soffritto away from the fire and either store it in the freezer or use it immediately for your next tomato sauce or risotto recipe.
- Prep Time: 15
- Cook Time: 15
- Category: Vegetarian, aromatic base
- Method: Stir-frying
- Cuisine: Italian
- Serving Size: 1 batch
- Calories: 155 kcal
- Sugar: 3.8 g
- Sodium: 58 mg
- Fat: 13.8 g
- Saturated Fat: 2.01 g
- Carbohydrates: 3.8 g
- Fiber: 1.4 g
- Protein: 1 g