3 sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into small cubes
3 fresh garlic cloves
2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
1 knob of butter
Kosher salt to taste
black pepper to taste
paprika to taste
garlic powder to taste
dried oregano to taste
dried parsley to taste
- Preheat the oven to 375° F.
- Take a large frying pan or cast-iron skillet and put it on medium heat. A large skillet will make it easier not to crown the pan.
- Add some olive oil to the pan and let it get hot. Throw in your chopped garlic and allow it to come to a sizzle.
- When the garlic is fragrant, add the sweet potato cubes and onions to the hot pan in a single layer. Don’t overcrowd the pan. We want the sweet potato pieces to become golden brown on all sides. This will let them develop some really good flavor.
- Now sprinkle on all of the dried spices and toss everything around making sure the spices coat all of the sweet potato pieces and onions.
- Turn the stove up to medium-high heat. Let the sweet potatoes and onions cook in the pan until they become brown and crispy. It should take about 5-7 minutes.
- As the sweet potatoes become crispy and onions caramelize, add another pinch of salt and another little bit of extra oil.
- When the sweet potatoes are golden brown and the onions are soft, add some butter to the pan and pop the pan in the oven. Make sure you use a pan that can go in the oven. If you use a cast iron pan you’re good because it’s oven proof. Leave it in there for 10-15 minutes to melt butter and let the sweet potatoes cook through.
- When there is about 5 minutes of cooking time left, turn all of the sweet potatoes and onions over so they cook evenly on all sides.
- When the sweet potatoes and onions are cooked through, remove them from the oven and transfer them to a serving plate.
- Prep Time: 5
- Cook Time: 25
- Category: Side Dishes
Keywords: how to saute sweet potatoes