3–4 stalks of celery with leaves chopped into 1 inch pieces
1 can of diced tomatoes (14 oz) or 2-3 peeled plum tomatoes
1/2 of a large onion sliced thin
3 large cloves of garlic chopped
2 tablespoons of olive oil
1/2 cup of white wine
1/2 cup of grated parmesan cheese
Salt and pepper to taste
- Get a large skillet and pour in your olive oil.
- Place the pan on medium heat and place your garlic in the pan. Season the garlic with salt and pepper. The garlic will start to flavor the oil as it cooks.
- When the garlic becomes fragrant, which usually takes about 3 minutes, add your celery and onions in equal amounts.
- Season the vegetables with more salt and pepper and turn the stove up to medium-high heat.
- The celery and onions will start to cook down and soften up. After about 5-7 minutes you should have slightly caramelized onions and celery.
- Add the wine and let it reduce for about a minute on medium high heat.
- Add the tomatoes and turn the heat up so that it starts to boil. When it starts to boil, turn the heat down to a simmer on medium-low heat. Stir it every so often with a wooden spoon so it doesn’t stick to the bottom of the pan.
- Allow the celery and onions to braise in the tomatoes for about 20 minutes.
- During the last 5 minutes, add in the grated cheese and let it cook with the celery and tomato sauce. When the tomato sauce reduces to about half, it should be ready.
- Transfer the contents of the pan to the serving bowl and enjoy!
- Prep Time: 5
- Cook Time: 30
- Category: Side Dishes
Keywords: how to saute celery and onions