For the pie crust:
2 large eggs
3 cups of cake flour
4 tbsp sugar
12 tablespoons of seed oil (you can use 1 stick of unsalted butter, if you prefer)
a pinch of salt
(optional) 1 tsp baking powder
1 + 3/4 cups fresh whole milk ricotta cheese
5 tbsp sugar
6 tbsp chocolate drops
- Put the ricotta at room temperature in a pasta strainer, and let it there for at least 15 minutes, so that it can get rid of all the excess liquid.
- In a large bowl, mix the eggs with the indicated amount of sugar, then add the seed oil. After that, sift the flour with the baking powder and add them as well.
- Now, mix everything with a spatula or a wooden spoon and, later, with your hands, until you form a ball of pasta frolla. Divide it in two pieces of different sizes (3/4 + 1/4) and cover them in plastic wrap. Then, put the bigger one in the refrigerator, and the smaller one in the freezer. Let them rest for at least 45 minutes.
- In the meantime, prepare the pie filling. Mix all the ingredients in another bowl, and then let everything rest in the fridge until you need it.
- When the pasta frolla cooling time has passed, take a springform pan or a pie shell, and cover its bottom with greaseproof paper. Then, take the bigger ball out of the fridge, stretch it with a rolling pin, and then use your hands to spread it on the pan.
- Use a fork to make some holes in the pasta frolla. This way, you’ll avoid the formation of air bubbles during the baking process.
- Now, add the ricotta mixture and spread it evenly. If there is some uncovered pasta frolla on the sides of the pan, fold it onto the filling.
- Take the smaller pastry ball out of the fridge, and grate it on a plate. Make some big shavings, then spread them on the top of the pie until it’s completely covered.
- Now, bake in a preheated oven at 356°F for 20 minutes, in ventilated mode. Then, lower the temperature to 320°F, and keep baking for another 35 minutes. After that, stick a toothpick into the pie to check if it’s ready. If it comes out clean, you can turn off the oven.
- Prep Time: 75
- Cook Time: 55
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: italian ricotta pie